Thursday, June 3, 2010



I named my blog Erika's Endeavors and as my first blog I figured it would be appropriate to define my "Endeavor."

Noun 1. endeavor - a purposeful or industrious undertaking (especially one that requires effort or boldness);

1. A conscientious or concerted effort toward an end; an earnest attempt.
2. Purposeful or industrious activity; enterprise.
v. en·deav·ored, en·deav·or·ing, en·deav·ors

To attempt (fulfillment of a responsibility or an obligation, for example) by employment or expenditure of effort: endeavored to improve the quality of life in the inner city.

To work with a set or specified goal or purpose.

After taking three years off from school, I moved from San Diego to Oklahoma City to finally finish my college education. Last year as a 24 year old junior I knew I was here to finish school, but I did not quite feel the motivation I needed to look outside the box. I attended the classes, and was disappointed that on my second chance I was still just going through the motions half-heartedly. With one more year of school left, an epiphany hit me. What do I want to do with my life? Will I chase a coroporate 8-5 job, (the one thing I always said I would hate to do) or will I rediscover myself and pursue my talents. The only problem is, I lost sight of my talents and hobbies and my life seemed to lack a purpose.

Thats when I realized, I am on an Endeavor and as it states in the definition above I am on a "purposeful or industrious undertaking" of my life!

I would categorize myself over the last five years as a wanderer. A wanderer chasing something, but not quite knowing what I was chasing after. What happened to all those dreams and talents I pursued as a naive 18 year old girl right out of highschool?

I posted the video of Ken Robinson "School Kills Creativity," and hopefully it will inspire everyone including myself to realize that there are endless opportunities and dreams we can live without limiting our talents and creativity!

2 comments: